Notice relating to the ‘Bright Stone Cup’ - the 2nd Micro-Nano Sensing Technology and Intelligent Application Competition
The 2021 China Mechanical Engineering Innovation and Creativity Competition for University Students - also known as the “Bright Stone Cup” or the 2nd Micro-Nano Sensing Technology and Intelligent Application Competition - is set to take place between March and July. It is sponsored by the Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society.
With full naming support from the Bright Stone Innovation (Yantai) Micro-Nano Sensor Technology Research Institute, the competition aims to stimulate the interest of college students in micro-nano sensing technology, inspire innovative ideas, promote the industrial application of the technology, and cultivate a group of dedicated industry professionals.
The Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society
Micro-Nano Manufacturing Technology Institute of the Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society
Micro-Nano Manufacturing and Equipment Branch of the Chinese Society of Micro-Nano Technology
Institute of Intelligent Sensing Technology and Systems, Xi'an Jiaotong University (Yantai)
Shandong Institutes of Industrial Technology
Bright Stone Innovation (Yantai) Micro-Nano Sensor Technology Research Institute
State Key Laboratory for Manufacturing Systems Engineering
International Joint Laboratory for Micro/Nano Manufacturing and Measurement Technologies
Chongqing Key Laboratory of Micro-Nano System and Intelligent Sensing
School of Nano Science and Engineering Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University (Suzhou)
III. Theme and Timetable
1. Theme: Smart Sensing, Internet of Everything
|Preliminary competition||From March to July, 2021||Submit works online for review|
|Finals||Mid August, 2021||Roadshow|
3. Location: Yantai, East China’s Shandong Province
1. Participants: Full-time undergraduate and graduate students (as of June 2021)
1) Registration is based on the participating teams;
2) Each participating team must consist of fewer than five students, each student can only participate in one team, and one team leader shall be designated;
3) Each participating team can designate 1-2 teachers from the school as instructors;
4) Each instructor can guide a maximum of two teams at the same time;
5) Instructors are not allowed to participate in the on-site finals.
3. Each university can organize team selection and registration on its own, or register via the teachers and students of the department.
4. Participating students are not limited by majors, and cross-disciplinary team formation within the school is encouraged, but cross-school team formation is not allowed.
5. In terms of registration, if the number of teams registered at the same university exceeds the limit, the competition organizing committee will contact the school's academic affairs office and other departments to confirm the final number.
The topic selection of the contest is based on practical applications, which can be chosen by the participants themselves or decided by the organizing committee. Possibilities include the design, manufacturing process, calibration testing and intelligent application of micro-nano sensors, including but not limited to:
1. Frontier foundation: Explore micro-nano sensing technology based on new principles, new materials, new structures or new processes, showing innovative and forward-looking ideas, and demonstrating application potential.
2. Key technology: Break through the key technologies of micro-nano sensor design, processing, packaging or calibration testing, reflecting their advanced nature and practicality, and providing technical support for industrial applications.
3. Demonstration applications: Use self-developed micro-nano sensors or market products combined with the functional requirements of the following scenarios to achieve innovative system-level applications.
1) Medical and healthcare: For example, micro-nano sensors used for motion capture, fall prevention and early warning or physiological signal detection, to achieve motion analysis or intelligent diagnosis.
2) Intelligent manufacturing: For example, micro-nano sensors used in smart bearings, smart electric spindles, and smart tools which can realize the intelligentization of core components.
3) Robots: For example, micro-nano sensors used for item sorting, material recognition, and the detection and manipulation of the robot's own state, to realize the intelligence and autonomy of the robot.
4) Internet of Things: For example, ultra-low-power micro-nano sensors used for the health monitoring of large buildings, high-speed railways, and large-scale machinery and equipment, to aid infrastructure health assessments and maintenance.
5) Environmental monitoring: For example, micro-nano sensors for the rapid detection of air, water, light and sound pollution, plus electromagnetic radiation, to develop a rapid environmental monitoring system.
The first and second prizes of the preliminary competition will be selected according to the results of an online review, and the winners will be awarded certificates.
The number of awards is determined based on the total number of entries, and the works awarded first prize in the preliminary contest will then enter the finals.
The first prize, second prize, third prize and excellence award in the finals will be selected according to the results of the entrants' roadshow, and the award certificates will be awarded by the competition organizer.
The amount of awards in the finals will be announced after the final registration. The total number of awards shall not exceed 50 percent of the total number of final entries.
1. Startup (February 2021 - March 2021)
The competition will be announced and launched. The academic affairs offices, faculties and related research institutes of colleges and universities will be informed so they can organize publicity and prepare for registration.
2. Registration (March 2021 - May 2021)
The registration system for the competition will be officially opened in mid-to-late March 2021, and the deadline for registration is May 31, 2021.
The universities, research institutes and other units can organize internal selections and registrations. The teachers and students of each department can also registrate at their own will.
Registration must be done via the official website: http://mnems.xjtu.edu.cn.
3. Submit the official entry materials (as of late June 2021)
The participating teams must submit the official entry materials before the deadline, in accordance with the registration requirements. Teams that fail to submit their entries before the deadline will be automatically disqualified.
4. Preliminary (mid-July 2021)
The preliminary contest will be reviewed online, and the winners and the finalists will be announced on the contest's official website.
5. Announcement of the finals (mid-to-late July 2021)
The announcement will inclue the notice of the finals, including the requirements, the schedule, and a detailed outline of the awards, etc.
6. Finals (mid-August 2021)
The venue for the finals is Yantai City, East China’s Shandong Province. The participating teams should attend the finals according to the notification. After the competition, the list of winners will be announced, and bonuses and award certificates will be presented on site.
VIII. Other Notifications
1. Contest information
Events unspecified or schedule updates will be announced separately. The competition notice and the event information will be published on the competition's official website (http://mnems.xjtu.edu.cn). In case of special circumstances requiring adjustments, please refer to announcements on the official website of the competition.
2. Contest consultation and assistance
If you have any questions during the registration and competition period, you can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for consultation. The subject of the email should be marked "Contest Matters", the consultation question should be clarified in the text and contact information should be included.
3. Violation disposition
If a team is found to have given false information or violated the rules of the competition, the organizing committee has the right to cancel/retrieve the qualifications and awards at any time, and the relevant responsibilities shall be borne by the participating teams.
4. The competition does not charge registration fees, and the transportation expenses of the participating teams to participate in the finals will be borne by themselves.
5. If the relevant dates of the contest are changed due to special circumstances, please refer to the official website.
6. The organizing committee of the Micro-Nano Sensing Technology and Intelligent Application Competition has the final right of interpretation.
IX. Contact us
Official website: http://mnems.xjtu.edu.cn/